Healthy Fast Food Choices
The movie Fast Food Nation made an impression, but it hasn't stopped Americans from the convenience and price of eating it. Everyday, 1 out of 4 Americans eats fast food. If you're going to eat fast food, here are some healthy suggestions:
- Grilled chicken or fish sandwich
- Whole wheat rolls
- Fruit or fruit and yogurt
- Baked potato (with vegetables instead of cheese, butter or sour cream)
- Salad with dressing on the side or fat free salad dressing
- Single hamburger (regular or children's size)
- Low fat deli sandwiches on wheat bread or on pita bread
- Wraps on whole wheat tortillas (without dressing)
- Fat free / low fat milk or water
Last Minute Tips
1. Avoid Soda. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that drinking a 12oz sugar-laced soda a day could pile on 15 pounds in a year.
2. Skip the fries. Consider packing a bag of mini carrots, grapes or other fruits and vegetables to have instead. This will add vitamins and fiber to your diet.
3. Remember the big picture. Weight Watchers uses the point system, and you can do the same. If you're planning on eating a huge meal at a friend's birthday dinner, try to eat a little less at lunch. The best way to prevent overindulgence is to eat small meals throughout the day.