Causes of weight gain
Students often eat in response to anxiety, homesickness, sadness, or stress. The stress of living away from home and acclimating to college can trigger overeating. Gaining weight is common, but maintaining a healthy weight is possible.
1. Draw a Plan: Portion control is the hardest part about eating at the Dining Commons. Try to limit going back for seconds unless it's for fruits and vegetables. Aim for low calorie and high fiber.
2. Stay Active: Sign up for intramurals sports, check out the ARC, bike to campus, or go for a walk in the Arboretum. Calories in need to equal calories out.
3. Alcohol Consumption: If you're going to drink make sure to do it in moderation. Beer and alcohol are high in calories, and they're also the first fuel to burn in your body. Drinking alcohol will postpone your body's ability to burn fat. Plus, it's a diuretic, which explains late night cravings for greasy and salty food.
4. Resist Late Night Eating: In 2005, eating food between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m. was a leading contributor to weight gain. If you're cramming for a mid-term, reach for carrots instead of carrot cake.
5. Sleep: Taking 16 units, living in the dorms, and even Facebook will prevent you from 8 hours of sleep. Research shows that people who get less sleep have higher Body Mass Indexes. Getting enough sleep will increase your leptin hormone levels (appetite suppressant), and decrease your ghrelin hormone levels (appetite stimulatant). Sleep yourself skinny.
If you can keep the above five tips in mind, you'll be ready for the Rec Pool Spring Quarter.
We know students need access to medical care that's convenient. At Woodland Healthcare-Davis, we're here when you need us, seven days a week.
We accept most health insurance plans. Call (530) 668-2690 to find out more.
Monday - Friday................... 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Walk-in care. ......................... 5 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Saturday. ............................... 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Sunday/Holidays................... 11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Woodland Healthcare-Davis Medical Offices
2330 West Covell Blvd.
Davis, CA 95616
Located on the corner of West Covell Blvd. and Denali Drive. Accessible by Unitrans Bus Line P.